In This Episode…
Success is actually quite simple when you think about it. But there are a few things that get in our way. Aside from the human condition and the way evolution has moulded our brain to operate, we also have to deal with our emotions.
In this episode I share my thoughts on doing that. [SPOILER ALERT – I don’t claim to have THE answer to this challenge, but some of my observations might help].
Episode Show Notes…
00:19 – If you think about it, success is really quite a simple process:
- Pick a goal.
- Make a plan.
- Execute that plan UNTIL it is achieved.
00:33 – Unfortunately we have the added complication of being human with a brain that has evolved over millions of years.
- 00:47 – We are frightened of anything and everything – it’s a survival mechanism. It is where procrastination comes from.
- 01:07 – We are drawn to novelty – another survival mechanism designed for us to spot things that change around us. This is where distraction comes from.
- 01:25 – We like to conserve energy so we can maximise our output if we need to for survival means.
- 01:46 – Dopamine makes us feel good about achieving things. Unfortunately the good things and the trivial things.
- 02:12 – Serotonin flows when we feel appreciated. Unfortunately it means we struggle to potentially alienate ourselves from our “tribe” by saying no to a request.
02:50 – Combined with all of the above factors, we also have to deal with the impact of our emotions.
03:00 – Some think we are rational beings having an emotional experience. I like believe we are emotional beings trying to have a rational experience.
03:15 – Overcoming procrastination is my biggest hurdle to overcome. That procrastination can be caused by a number of factors:
- I might just be having an off day.
- I might be bored.
- There might be an absence of urgency.
- It could be that the thing I am putting off appears to be too difficult.
03:36 – Regardless of the reason for delay, it ain’t gong to get done if it doesn’t get done.
04:00 – But sometimes I just don’t feel like doing anything. Unfortunately I don’t have the answer to consistently getting myself to feel like doing things.
04:08 – A couple of days ago I had a really bad day and didn’t do a podcast episode. In fact I did very little all day. That’s not a good day. It is a waste of a day.
04:39 – So what’s the answer?
- Rituals and routines?
- Motivation and drive?
- Strategies and habits?
04:51 – I think sometimes you have just got to get on with things in spite of how you are feeling.
04:55 – They say that courage isn’t the absence of fear, but acting in spite of the fear.
05:03 – And when it comes to productivity, it’s about doing things in spite of feeling like you don’t want to.
Leave a Reply