In This Episode…
Back in episode 011 I got really excited about the SCRUM approach to projects. I reviewed the ultimate book on the topic and then began implementing the strategy on my project to develop my productivity seminar.
In this episode I share how my application of that approach has fizzled out and explore why that might have happened.
Episode Show Notes
00:08 – Introduction and Background.
01:11 – Here are the previous episodes relating to me using SCRUM for my Productivity Seminar Project:
- 011 My Initial Adventures In SCRUM – A Partial Review of SCRUM – The Art Of Doing Twice The Work In Half The Time
- 012 SCRUM Update 01 – Initial Backlog Created, Estimation Complete, Sequencing Begun And I’m Ready To Start
- 023 SCRUM Update 02 – My First Retrospective And Why I’m Quietly Pleased With My Progress
- 037 Lessons Learnt From My Latest SCRUM Retrospective
03:09 – A reminder of what velocity is in terms of SCRUM.
03:31 – What has happened to the velocity for this project over the weeks I have been applying SCRUM.
04:16 – I have had the same two stories on the Ready part of my board for the last 4 weeks.
04:54 – I have no excuses for letting the activity tail off like this but here are some reasons why I think it might have:
- 05:00 – I had finished the main chunk of the work by completing the seminar design.
- 05:33 – I then got distracted on related but not priority activities.
- 05:46 – I got out of the habit of doing a retrospective at the end of each week.
- 06:14 – I probably haven’t refined the habits to the point where they were smooth AND effective.
06:31 – I have had some success because 36 out of the original 56 stories have been completed. You can see this in the Before and After photos of the project backlog:
08:01 – The question I am asking myself is whether this approach has been effective for me.
08:16 – It is possible that the SCRUM approach might be the wrong tool for me as a single resource to use for managing my effort on a project.
09:05 – The beautiful thing about the way I have approached this is that I have all of the data so I can look deeper to find out why.
09:23 – For now I shall complete this project using this approach so I can make a much more informed decision when it is complete.