In This Episode…
In today’s episode I share the suggestions I gave to a coaching client about how to deal with the huge amount of information he has to consume and process on a daily basis. In this episode I look at:
- The vast amount of information sources available to us.
- Why it is important to get clear on why we need to consume information.
- The two significant challenges you face in dealing with information.
- How I helped a coaching client go from being overwhelmed with information to being in complete control of it.
- The six step plan to tame the information beast.
Episode Show Notes…
00:17 – This episode is going to look at how understanding your Main Thing can help you deal with information overwhelm.
00:32 – We are bombarded with a HUGE amount of information every single day from a multitude of different sources.
01:02 – Why do you consume all of this information? Is it because it is there? Is it to keep up with the latest trends? Is it to keep track of the current gossip? Or does it support you in your work?
01:22 – My favourite quote:
In absence of purpose, everything becomes relevantUnknown
01:42 – Challenges we face with information are:
- That there is so much of it.
- Identifying what is relevant to us.
- Sifting through the relevant information to find what is useful for us.
01:57 -Today I have been working with another coaching client who is facing the problem of too much information to deal with.
03:19 – Here is the 6 step plan I gave him to help deal with his challenge:
- Step 1 – Get very clear on the topic/subjects of interest to you. Make sure you have some way of prioritising those in order of importance/relevance.
- Step 2 – Invest in a good quality paper scanner to help archive all of the physical information into electronic form. [NOTE – I use a Fujitsu Scansnap ix500].
- Step 3 – Get clear on what your Main Thing is.
- Step 4 – Identify WHAT information you need to help you achieve your Main Thing, WHY you need that information and HOW you are going to use it.
- Step 5 – Whenever you process/consume information, prime your Reticular Activating System by getting clearing on what it is you want from the information.
- Step 6 – Focus your information acquisition around your current project.